Medical microneedling, otherwise know as dermarolling is a very safe and effective way to resurface the skin. Making thousands of tiny punctures into the skin at the correct depth stimulates healing and the release of growth hormone, collagen and elastin, leading to smoother and fresh looking skin. This means that that it is an excellent treatment for acne scarring, dull complexion or irregular pigmentation. It has similar effects to a fraxel laser, with a less discomfort and downtime.
- Acne scarring, dull complexion, pigmentation, aging skin.
- Length of treatment: 1.5 hours including time for local anaesthetic to work.
- Results: Results will start to be seen at 6 weeks and can last over a year. Resurfacing improvements to scarring can be permanent.
- Works best as a course of 4-6, however excellent results can be seen after one treatment.
- Topical anaesthetic is required.
- Cost: starting at £150.
- Downtime: your skin may look a bit red after treatment, but this should settle down the same day.
- Not suitable for skin with active acne or cold sores. There may be some minor discomfort similar to mild sunburn after the procedure.
- Make up should be avoided for the rest of the day. Following this, medical/ mineral makeup may be worn. Spf 50 MUST be worn daily for at least 3 weeks. Saunas, spas and sun exposure should be avoided for 24 hours. No exercise for 24 hours.