LED (light emitting diode) therapy was first designed to help with skin healing post operatively. Extensive research has shown that if the light is in the correct wavelength, it can have dramatic effects on skin healing and rejuvenation. Three particular wavelengths are particularly useful in aesthetic medicine:
- At one wavelength, the skin absorbs the light energy, converts it to ATP and uses the absorbed energy to stimulate fibroblasts to produce collagen and elastin. This increases skin elasticity and thickness, thereby rolling back years of skin aging.
- The second important wavelength is clinically proven to eradicate the bacteria on skin that causes acne. When used regularly, this wavelength of light can clear resistant cystic acne without the use of drugs.
- The third wavelength has been proven to help to break down irregular pigmentation in the skin so is used to treat melasma, rosacea and broken capillaries.
- LED light is not within the UV range so does not cause skin aging, damage or increase skin cancer risk, unlike UV lamps and sunbeds. LED is great for reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, improving uneven skin tone, reducing pore size, brightening and restoring the youthful look of your skin.
- For skin brightening, acne, pigmentation, skin plumping.
- Length of treatment: 20 mins.
- Results: Results can be seen within a few weeks.
- For optimal effects, light therapy needs carried out three times a week.
- No anaesthetic required.
- Cost: Starting from £20.
- Downtime: None.
- Not suitable for those with photosensitivity or photosensitive epilepsy.
- SPF 50 should be worn after treatment.